Sunday, May 17, 2015

Training #1 - How I approached it

There is so much to say about training. So this one will be just the first of many.

At the very highest level, I plan to hike in order to get ready to hike:). I will gradually build up to doing the Rim to Rim distance and elevation gain (or more). What this means to me with around 5 months to go, is hikes in the 10-15 mile range, and a few thousand feet of climbing. I will only be able to do these on weekends until the days get longer. So I will supplement with three other days of cardio and two with weights.

Today's hike was a perfect example. I hiked up Limekiln and a ways out into Siarra Azul in order to get the miles and elevation that I was looking for. It ended up being just over 3 hours, 11.7 miles and 3,370 feet of elevation. I don't like to stop, especially up hill, but had to twice to catch my breath and get my heart rate down. Shows that I have more work to do...

As a bit of a teaser, I plan to get a trainer as we get closet to the hike.

As a second teaser, I used my hiking / trekking poles for today's hike. They worked well. I am not convinced that they helped up hill, but am sure they did going down, especially where it was steep.

No comments:

Post a Comment